Events, Like Woah.
October 31, 2010
What do you call a month in which 18 special events happen? How about when 13 of them happen in a row? Here at WORD, we call it: November. We’ve got an events line-up that is PACKED with awesome. Full details are, as always, up on the WORD Events Calendar, but here’s the scoop:
- Wednesday, Nov. 3, 7:30 p.m. & Saturday, Nov. 6, 12 noon: WORD Book Group meets to discuss In Other Rooms, Other Wonders.
- Thursday, Nov. 4, 7:30 p.m.: Be the first to see Janice Shapiro and hear her read from Bummer at our pre-release party!
- Friday, Nov. 5, 7:30 p.m.: Vol. 1 presents “Civic Pride,” a new Reading Series. This first installment features Chicago-born authors Adam Levin (The Instructions), Jami Attenberg (The Melting Season), Molly Tolsky, and free beer. (Yes, really!)
- Saturday, Nov. 6, 7:30 p.m.: L’Aura Hladik presents Ghosthunting NYC and hosts a Haunted Open-Mic! Halloween candy guaranteed, costumes encouraged.
- Sunday, Nov. 7, 11:30 a.m.: Illustrator Stephen Savage presents an interactive storytime for The Fathers Are Coming Home.
- Thursday, Nov. 11, 7:30 p.m.: Rachel Kramer Bussel is joined by several fellow authors, including Sarah Maclean (Ten Ways To Be Adored When Landing a Lord), to celebrate Passion: Erotic Romance for Women. Also: there will be cupcakes!
- Friday, Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m.: Shrill Travesty and Lucy Ruth Cummins dish on the sleazy world of children’s books, in honor of The Taking Tree.
- Saturday, Nov. 13, 7:30 p.m.: Rooftop Farms’ Annie Novak interviews author Katherine Leiner on Growing Roots and the new generation of food activists.
- Sunday, Nov. 14, 4 p.m.: Restaurateurs/chefs/authors Haley and Lauren Fox present a special Tea Time for Alice’s Tea Cup. (Plus, whimsical apron contest!) Tickets required, see our site for more details.
- Monday, Nov. 15, 7 p.m.: The Greenpoint Writers Group presents LOCAL ORGANIC, a reading for their new unpublished works.
- Tuesday, Nov. 16, 7 p.m.: WORD hosts the new Candlestick Reading Series; at this first event, Justin Taylor (Everything Here is the Best Thing Ever) leads a discussion on Richard Price’s Lush Life. 10% off the book for attendees at WORD!
- Wednesday, Nov. 17, 7:30 p.m.: Contributors to Bound to Last speak on the book as object, their favorite books, and the future of reading.
- Thursday, Nov. 18, 7:30 p.m.: The Association for the Betterment of Sex presents the one and only intimacy resource you’ll ever need, Sex: Our Bodies, Our Junk.
- Friday, Nov. 19. 6 p.m.: The Greenpoint Reformed Church discusses Hipster Christianity in its very first Book Group meeting.
- Saturday, Nov. 20, 7:30 p.m.: Author and blogger Amy McCoy dishes on Poor Girl Gourmet and eating well on a budget. We’ll also be raising funds for the Greenpoint Food Pantry!
- Sunday, Nov. 21, 6:30 p.m.: The Wold Newton Series presents its next Extravaganza, featuring Catherynne Valente (and many others).
- Monday, Nov. 22, 7:30 p.m.: Ethan Gilsdorf (Fantasy Freaks & Gaming Geeks) and Tony Pacitti (My Best Friend is a Wookiee) geek out in Of Wizards and Wookiees: A Panel Discussion on Gaming and Fandom. Doritos and Mountain Dew will be on hand.
- Tuesday, Nov. 23, 7:30 p.m.: Sandra Newman and Howard Mittelmark introduce you to your next 500 favorite books in Read This Next.
Whew! See you there (or there, or there, or there…).